Aeroforce Technology Inc Technical Forums

"Knowledge is power"

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:41 am 

Wide Band Datalogging wiring HELP...

Hi all, I am trying to get my head around the wiring for Wide Band Data logging, need your help.

I am using a Aeroforce Interceptor Kit that came with Dual Guages, Controller and O2 sensors, I need to hook it up to a firewire and into my SCT Xcal3.

Need to know the following, as it is not clear on the web...

1) The output wire from the Interceptor Controller Unit goes to Pin 3 of the firewire for Analog 1 for Xcal3, Therefore the pin 4 is the Analog 1's ground pin, (DOES THIS NEED TO BE CONNECTED?)

2) Do I need to connect any of the other 5 Pins/wires from the 1394 firewire to anything at all?

Please see a chart I put up of my understanding, can anybody tell me if this is correct.

Thank you all in advance.... Cheers....[img

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:01 pm 

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the SCT XCal3, it is not our product. I have never tried to do what you are describing. I can tell you how to connect to our gauge but I am not familiar with all other products on the market.

Todd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 pm 

Hi, that is exactly, what I am looking for, coz, I am quite clear on the firewire set up that goes into the SCT. However, the connection to the controller is bugging me, mainly need to know if grounding is necessary and what wires go where on the controller to Firewire connection?

Hope you don't mind me saying this, SCT being one of the most popular handheld tuners for one of the most popular cars in the USA, would it make sense to see how this works for the rest of your customers and have a step by step instruction on how to do this, it would really increase the usability and value of your product. just my 2 cents....

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:53 pm 

The yellow wire on the output cable gets connected to the positive input to our gauge or any other device. Our gauge is grounded at the OBD2 port, and the w/b sensor kit is grounded from the black wire of the power cable. If the input device (SCT3) has both the positive and ground reference connection, just splice into the ground connection (black wire) of the power harness, and use the yellow wire for positive signal.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 pm 

Todd wrote:
The yellow wire on the output cable gets connected to the positive input to our gauge or any other device. Our gauge is grounded at the OBD2 port, and the w/b sensor kit is grounded from the black wire of the power cable. If the input device (SCT3) has both the positive and ground reference connection, just splice into the ground connection (black wire) of the power harness, and use the yellow wire for positive signal.

Todd

Thank you, that is very clear, I know what to do now, BTW, what is the Formula that I am suppose to input for the SCT?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:25 pm 

china mustang wrote:
Todd wrote:

Todd

Thank you, that is very clear, I know what to do now, BTW, what is the Formula that I am suppose to input for the SCT?

Thanks.

OK, I think I worked it out, I have the cables done and when it is day light I will plug it in, I will come back with pictures for those that are interested in doing this after I confirmed that it all works.

Here goes the process:

1) Define your Wirewire as Scheme 1 or scheme 2, do this by using a volt meter and mapping our the plug with the Pointy end of the plug facing upwards, there are 6 pins, starting from bottom left mark as pin one, and go criss-cross upwards, name each of the pins in numbers, that would leave you with Pin #6 as the top right pin. Pint your volt meter at pin 6 and connect to green wire, if it buzzs, than you have a Scheme 2 configuration, if you have pin 4 for the Buzz, it is a Scheme 1 config...

2) for scheme 1 Firewire... All the wires on the right hand side will be, Black, Green, Blue, these are grounds, join them together and connect them to the ground/black wire from the WB controller, they go to the same ground source.

3) the white wire is 5V+, you don't need this one, fold that wire and tape it up.

4) The Orange and the Red are the signal wires and they go to either Analog 1 (RED Pin 3) or Analog 2 (Orange Pin 5) and that is corresponding to the choice of analog 1 or 2 in LiveLink for SCT. You can chose one or the other, if you use RED for analog 1, than tape up the Orange analog 2 wire, since you wouldn't be using it.

5) The Red wire connects to the signal wire coming out of the WB controller, for the Aeroforce Interceptor, It is the Yellow wire coming out of the Controller. I used a Mini Mono Jack, with 1 Male Jack for the Controller input and 2 seperate Female jacks, 1 for the SCT Red Wire and 1 for the Gauge Yellow wire that I cut in the Middle. This way, you can switch between SCT and Gauge readings.

That's it for the wiring, will now research on the formula for the WB to SCT set up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:36 pm 

china mustang wrote:
china mustang wrote:
Todd wrote:

Todd

Thanks.

OK, I think I worked it out, I have the cables done and when it is day light I will plug it in, I will come back with pictures for those that are interested in doing this after I confirmed that it all works.

Here goes the process:

1) Define your Wirewire as Scheme 1 or scheme 2, do this by using a volt meter and mapping our the plug with the Pointy end of the plug facing upwards, there are 6 pins, starting from bottom left mark as pin one, and go criss-cross upwards, name each of the pins in numbers, that would leave you with Pin #6 as the top right pin. Pint your volt meter at pin 6 and connect to green wire, if it buzzs, than you have a Scheme 2 configuration, if you have pin 4 for the Buzz, it is a Scheme 1 config...

2) for scheme 1 Firewire... All the wires on the right hand side will be, Black, Green, Blue, these are grounds, join them together and connect them to the ground/black wire from the WB controller, they go to the same ground source.

3) the white wire is 5V+, you don't need this one, fold that wire and tape it up.

4) The Orange and the Red are the signal wires and they go to either Analog 1 (RED Pin 3) or Analog 2 (Orange Pin 5) and that is corresponding to the choice of analog 1 or 2 in LiveLink for SCT. You can chose one or the other, if you use RED for analog 1, than tape up the Orange analog 2 wire, since you wouldn't be using it.

5) The Red wire connects to the signal wire coming out of the WB controller, for the Aeroforce Interceptor, It is the Yellow wire coming out of the Controller. I used a Mini Mono Jack, with 1 Male Jack for the Controller input and 2 seperate Female jacks, 1 for the SCT Red Wire and 1 for the Gauge Yellow wire that I cut in the Middle. This way, you can switch between SCT and Gauge readings.

That's it for the wiring, will now research on the formula for the WB to SCT set up...

This is what SCT has written up on their website, can someone help with step by step of how to input this into the SCT X3 and what is the formula for our WB sensors?

How to figure out an Analog Wideband Formula.
Solution This is how you can figure out Analog Wideband Formulas.

The Wideband should have come with some sort of documentation. Use this to gather the info below, if it did not come with anything, you will need to call the manufacturer or search their website for this info.

ÔÇó We Need to Know What Air/Fuel Ratio is equal to 0 Volts.
ÔÇó We Need to Know What the Max Voltage Range for this Wideband is.
ÔÇó We Need to Know What Air/Fuel Ratio is equal to the Max Volts. (4 or 5 volts, which ever it may be)

Once you know this information you can figure out what the formula should be.

This is the start of the Formula: (Volts*X)+Y
ÔÇó We take the A/F equal to 0 volts to figure out the Y.
ÔÇó We take the A/F equal to Max Volts to Figure out the X.

Here is an Example:
ÔÇó (V*X)+Y
ÔÇó 0 Volts = 10/1 AFR. ÔÇô LetÔÇÖs Call this Value1
ÔÇó 5 Volts = 18/1 AFR. ÔÇô LetÔÇÖs Call this Value2
ÔÇó (V*1.6)+10

To Figure Out Y: Y is always equal to Value1, so Y=10 in this example.
To Figure Out X: Take Value2 (18 in this example) and Minus Value1. So 18-10=8 in this example. Then divide that number by the max volts. (5 in this example). 8/5=1.6.

Here is another Example:
ÔÇó (V*X)+Y
ÔÇó 0 Volts = 10/1 AFR. ÔÇô LetÔÇÖs Call this Value1
ÔÇó 5 Volts = 20/1 AFR. ÔÇô LetÔÇÖs Call this Value2
ÔÇó (V*2)+10

To Figure Out Y: Y is always equal to Value1, so Y=10 in this example.
To Figure Out X: Take Value2 (20 in this example) and Minus Value1. So 20-10=10 in this example. Then divide that number by the max volts. (5 in this example). 10/5=2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:55 pm 

Our analog out is described in the instructions. V*2+10 = A/F ratio. Or, to put another way, 0v = 10 A/F, 5v = 20 A/F.

Todd