Aeroforce Technology Inc Technical Forums

"Knowledge is power"

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:14 pm 

So I've had this gauge since about April. (Pre-Turbo) Well eversince then the Traction Control light keeps poping on which means the TCS is off. Well I thought it was the car and something wrong with the fuse. Nothing is wrong on my end so I unplugged the Interceptor and started the car and no more light. After plugging the Interceptor back in I get the TC light again after about 30 sec.

This is very annoying seeing the light on and not having TC. Espcecially for Daily Driving and in the rain. I don't mind it being off when at the track or on the Dyno or burning rubber but I would prefer it be on. Why is the Aeroforce Interceptor Turning it off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:55 pm 

It's not actively turning it off, there must be some sort of delay in the PCM receiving the TCS status from the ABS module when the gauge is plugged in. What data rate are you using? Try something slower, like 3, 4, or 5 and see if this goes away.

This is the first I've heard of this happening on any car. Strange.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:08 pm 

Ok Will check and change the data rate around a bit. Hope it fixes it. Will let you know the outcome.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:26 pm 

JimmyG wrote:
So I've had this gauge since about April. (Pre-Turbo) Well eversince then the Traction Control light keeps poping on which means the TCS is off. Well I thought it was the car and something wrong with the fuse. Nothing is wrong on my end so I unplugged the Interceptor and started the car and no more light. After plugging the Interceptor back in I get the TC light again after about 30 sec.

This is very annoying seeing the light on and not having TC. Espcecially for Daily Driving and in the rain. I don't mind it being off when at the track or on the Dyno or burning rubber but I would prefer it be on. Why is the Aeroforce Interceptor Turning it off?

I know people who would call that a feature; the DTC system is a pain for a boosted car.

/My "base" 8 has no DTC; but has a Pettit blower.

I now have ignition advance readings and temp from the OBD2 port.
The gauge is sweet.
The next gauge will be the Analogic with boost sensor and oil pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:20 pm 

Todd wrote:
It's not actively turning it off, there must be some sort of delay in the PCM receiving the TCS status from the ABS module when the gauge is plugged in. What data rate are you using? Try something slower, like 3, 4, or 5 and see if this goes away.

This is the first I've heard of this happening on any car. Strange.

Todd

I played around with the data rates. It happens on whatever number I set it at. 1-6. It was on 4 when I first looked at it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:27 pm 

Rote8 wrote:
JimmyG wrote:

I know people who would call that a feature; the DTC system is a pain for a boosted car.

/My "base" 8 has no DTC; but has a Pettit blower.

I now have ignition advance readings and temp from the OBD2 port.
The gauge is sweet.
The next gauge will be the Analogic with boost sensor and oil pressure.

The gauge is sweet. Only drawbacks I have is this "issue" and the screen. Wish it were a higher quality LCD that wouldn't fade in the heat. Reagardless of me covering it or not the screen fades like and old gameboy would in the heat.

I got the gauge to replace the use of the AP; for monitoring everything I need to and also using it for wideband aswell as oil-temp.

My brother is looking at getting 2 Analogic for his '72 442. He's insatalling a Procharger on it. But he doesn't like the screen all too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:33 pm 

What year is your car? The slower data rates, like 5 and 6, hardly make a dent in bus traffic. That just seems so odd. The other odd thing is that this does not happen on the MSP3 or MSP6. I know they are differnet engine controllers but a manufacturer is usually consistent with the communication between control systems.

I'll ask our Mazda contact once I know the year and see if I can get any more info.

We use the highest temperature rated LCD displays available. When parked in the sun in the heat of summer mine loose some contrast when very hot, but they always return to normal when cooled off a little. There's not much we can do about that. I can always read them, just that they are not as defined looking in this extreme condition.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:24 am 

Todd wrote:
What year is your car? The slower data rates, like 5 and 6, hardly make a dent in bus traffic. That just seems so odd. The other odd thing is that this does not happen on the MSP3 or MSP6. I know they are differnet engine controllers but a manufacturer is usually consistent with the communication between control systems.

I'll ask our Mazda contact once I know the year and see if I can get any more info.

We use the highest temperature rated LCD displays available. When parked in the sun in the heat of summer mine loose some contrast when very hot, but they always return to normal when cooled off a little. There's not much we can do about that. I can always read them, just that they are not as defined looking in this extreme condition.

Todd

The Car is an '04. I have an N/A RX8 aswell I just picked up. Same year. When I get a chance I will plugg it into that one and see if it happens. It currently needs control arms on the Driver Side but there are no lights on whatsoever.

The LCD for me just goes completely blank in the heat. I have covered it up with cloth (Soft Sunglass Case/Shirts) and magazines and I still got the same result. I am trying to locate a rubber lens cover off a Binocular or camera. See if that won't fit over the gauge and help a bit.

The Screen on the Cobb Access Port and My Stereo (Double Din) never fade. I've left the Cobb AP in direct sunlight plenty of times. Maybe switching to a Cellphone-like LCD screen would work better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:18 pm 

Another thing I forgot to mention. The gauge also makes myTachometer jump back and forth from idle to zero and back. This happens on start up with the gauge plugged in or if I plug the gauge in after startup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:59 pm 

Your car really does not like traffic on the data bus. This is odd being a CAN bus vehicle. This is honestly the first car that I'm aware of this happening to, where the gauge's data rate has no effect.

If it get's to be too annoying we can take the gauge back for a refund. There's not much we can do about it if the car does not function with a diagnostic tool plugged into the OBD2 port. The MSP3/6 and the newer RX8's don't seem to have any issues.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:37 pm 

I can confirm that it is the gauge. Just tried it out on my other 8 and same thing.

I really like the gauge though. Would I get a refund for the sensor kits aswell. I may keep it cause i can fix the "issue" by shutting the car off and back on quickly.

When I use the access port to look at the ecu's live data everything works like normal. no lights on or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:45 pm 

Does the Access Port update as quickly as the Interceptor?

Yes, we can refund everything as long as the sensors are not used.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:15 pm 

Of course the sensors arn't used. :wink: (Not)

I guess my only choice as of now is to stick with this gauge and use it till I find another. I have invested soo much into it with the gauge and the sensor kits I bought for it. No point in throwing money down the drain when I don't have anymore.

Is there anything you guys can do to figure out what is going on. Maybe Call Cobb and see what they say the problem could be. Obviously they don't have this issue. I have no idea of how quickly the Access Port from Cobb reads data in comparison because I cannot hook them up at the same time. But the Access Port does read data quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:32 pm 

Does the AP read enhanced data like our gauge (knock retart, inj pw, etc), or just generic stuff like IAT, ingnition advance, rpm?

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:15 am 

Todd wrote:
Does the AP read enhanced data like our gauge (knock retart, inj pw, etc), or just generic stuff like IAT, ingnition advance, rpm?

Todd

Yes. Among Flashing the entire ECU the Cobb AP also lets you see and record Live Data for several parameters.

This is from their website -----

Live Data - Monitor OEM sensor data on-the-fly. Use the AccessPORT as an additional gauge to monitor a huge number of signals, like: RPM, Coolant Temp., Battery Voltage, Intake Temp., Ignition Time Lead Coil & Trail Coil, Mass Air Flow, Injector Duty Cycle and many more!

I recently discovered that the Intercepptor gauge will not let read the Long Term/Short Term Fuel Trims. It will only show me data for the first Shrt Trm but nothing for the others.

Also performance mode does not work. It gives me a message that the car must be stopped to start. The car is stopped but I cannot continue.